The ancient Villages
Historic towns and medieval villages
City of ancient origins, one of the most important centers of the Italian Renaissance, since 1998 the old town is a UNESCO heritage. The city reached its artistic peak under the rule of Federico II da Montefeltro. By his will the old medieval residence of the Montefeltro was enlarged and embellished to become the Ducal Palace, a masterpiece of Renaissance art, and now venue of the Galleria Nazionale delle Marche which houses masterpieces such as the Flagellation and the Madonna of Senigallia by Piero della Francesca and Muta by Raphael Sanzio.
The long artistic and cultural history of Urbino is glaring just walking around the city: the bulk of the neo-Palladian Cathedral, Palazzo Albani, the birthplace of Raphael’s and the Academy.
Every year in the month of August is celebrated the Festa del Duca, a re-enactment in costume through the streets of the center, which culminates in the challenge of the counties to the presence of the Ducal Court.
The city of Urbino is about 30 km from the Giuggiolo.
This small town (founded in the 13th century) is situated in an area that was inhabited by various peoples in the prehistory. The town was owned over years by the families of Malatesta and Montefeltro, the duchy of Urbino, who built a great fortress according to the plans of Francesco di Giorgio Martini. Was under the rule of the church state (1631), when Pergola was raised to the city status and experienced its economic climax. On the 8th of September, 1860, the city rose against the church state, causing an uprising in the Marches, which led to an alliance with the Piedmontese troops allowing the Marche to join Kingdom of Italy. In Pergola you can admire numerous monuments and works of art such as the gothic church of San Giacomo (13th century) in the former Augustinian monastery (the “Centro Operativo Museale”, where the famous gilded bronzes are placed) and the church S.Francesco with a beautiful pointed arch portal from the 14th century. The Cathedral, the churches Santa Maria Assunta, Re Magi, Sant’Andrea and Santa Maria delle Tinte are also worth visiting. The churches of Sant’Orsola, San Marco, San Rocco, San Vito, Santa Maria di Piazza and Santa Maria dell’Olmo, the churches of Chiesa dei Cappuccini, Sant ‘Antonio da Padova and the Oratory of the Ascension in Palazzolo. Among the noteworthy public buildings are the town hall (18th century), the ancient ducal palace, the Malatesta Palace and the Angelo Dal Foco theater from the 18th century, recently renovated. In the district of Cartoceto in 1946 numerous fragments of a Roman group of statues were found. They have been carefully reconstructed and restored and are today known as gilded bronze statues from Cartoceto near Pergola. Gastronomy: Passatelli with ceps, Pappardelle with wild boar sauce, Goose on fennel, Cake with potatoes, Cantucci.
Pergola is located 18 km from, Il Giuggiolo.
This ancient castle lies on a hill, dominated by its towers and bell towers, the picturesque wall ring and the majestic castle. As early as the 14th century, in the village there was a small garrison and, together with other villages in the area, they founded a vicariate, which for a long time ruled over the area. In 1474, Mondavio became property of Giovanni Della Rovere, who commissioned Francesco di Giorgio Martini to build a castle, the Rocca Roveresca, which today houses the “Scenic Museum of History” and a comprehensive collection of weapons. Until 1631, Mondavio, together with the territory of the ancient vicariate, was attached to the duchy of Urbino. Within the walls, in the piazza, and in the characteristic streets, you will find the town hall, the ancient church and the monastery of S.Francesco, renovated in the 18th century, as well as the collegiate church “Santi Pietro e Paterniano” by Bartolomeo Genga. The small theater Apollo was built in the 19th century. In Mondavio there’s an event known as “the historical wild boar hunting” where people dress up in sumptuous costumes from the Renaissance. Gastronomy: Tacconi, wild boar on fennel, Vinsanto “Mons Avium”.
Mondavio is located 13 km from, Il Giuggiolo.
Corinaldo lies between the Cesano and Misa rivers in the hinterland of Senigallia. It was rebuilt in 1367 thanks to a decree issued by Pope Urbano V and bordered by the city walls that have been preserved since today.
The walls of Corinaldo are the most intact, impressive and long throughout the Marche and one of the best preserved in central Italy.
In the 16th century noble families built estates, combined economic, political and cultural connections, enriching the city with masterpieces of art.
Numerous religious and civilian monuments were erected, all perfectly preserved.
You should definitely visit the town hall, the former convent of Agostiani, the town theaters and the sanctuary of Santa Maria Goretti.
In 2007 Corinaldo was officially named “Italy’s Most Beautiful Village”.
Corinaldo is located 20 km from, Il Giuggiolo .
Dante Alighieri and Le Marche
There are many chapters of the Divine Comedy in which Dante refers not only to geographical locations but also to individuals.
Most likely Dante was able to know the Marches during the initial period of his exile and almost certainly was a guest of some noble Marche family.
In Canto V Dante writes on a contemporary chronicle fact: the guilty love of two brothers in law Paolo and Francesca, their story is set in the Gradara Castle.
The nobles of Fano that we find in Dante’s Inferno are: Guido da Montefeltro in Canto XXVII and Canto XXVIII Guido del Cassero and Angiolello from Carignano.
In Canto V of Purgatory Dante talks about Jacopo del Cassero, a descendant of a noble family of Fano, politician and leader of the militia sent from Fano to the rescue Florence during the war with Arezzo.